Monday, February 01, 2010

Egg Watch: Exciting News!

THE COCKATIEL EGGS ARE FERTILE! Do you like how I just threw that out there, first thing? No intro? No warning? Just BAM! fertile. That's right. I want you to feel the way I did when, on a whim, I candled all four of Chauncy's eggs (even though the day before they were all empty except for a big, yellow yolk), and saw red veins and tiny fetuses! I'm surprised I didn't drop the eggs, I was so shocked. It's too bad most people won't ever get to see a candled egg in person because it's seriously one of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life. I actually saw the tiny heartbeats in two of the eggs! And when I say tiny, I mean tiny. Like, go get a book, open to any page, and then find a period at the end of a sentence. That's how big the heartbeats were. The fetuses were barely the size of a grain of uncooked rice (if that big). But you could tell that's just what they were. So. Freaking. Crazy!

So now I have a female named Chauncy, a male named Olive, and four babies on the way. In about two weeks, this


is going to turn into this


then this


and finally


Aren't baby birds ugly? It's a good thing they get cuter or nobody would ever want them as pets. Yeesh. I'm going to have four of those ugly things stumbling around in just two to three weeks. And on that note, you should know that, as this is THE FIRST AND LAST TIME I plan to have cockatiel babies, I will be documenting the whole experience from hatching to new-home-finding here on the blog. So gird your loins, because this is probably going to be cockatiel baby central until at least May or June.

1 comment:

Jules AF said...

Wow, baby birds are ugly.