Friday, January 15, 2010

A long, drawn-out way to get "free" pens

If you find yourself in need of a pen and have some time to spare, might I suggest selling your house and buying a new one? In the process of buying and selling a house just over two years ago, I procured approximately six to eight brand new pens for myself. Everybody wants to give you a pen: your real estate agent, your mortgage broker, your title company... Anybody who's dealing with you on your real estate transaction is going to force a pen, or pens, on you. For your examination, exhibit A:

Three pens from Backman Title. I very much enjoyed working with this company, particularly the person in charge of my file. I don't remember his name anymore, but he was a very nice, middle-aged man who loved shaking hands and handing out pens. "TOWR, hello! Good to see you again! *shake hands* Here, have a pen!" Then you would sit down to sign paperwork, where they would give you yet another pen for all your signature-ing, and force you take that pen as well. "But I've already got a pen." "That's okay, take this one anyway!" In all, I got four pens from Backman Title (one is in another room and not convenient for photographing). But considering they probably made hundreds, if not thousands, off transferring my titles, I'd say I'm probably the one who came out on the short end of that exchange.

2 comments:

Jules AF said...

I just read on MCB that you're getting into Dexter. I LOVE Dexter. I think Dexter is the best show in the world. haha I hope you LOVE it!

atsirk said...

HA HA HA HA!!! You're so right!! I used to work for a Title Company and we pushed pens on EVERYONE!!!